A few takeaways:
- Roughly 1/3 of all fuel dispenser skimming in the U.S. occurs in Texas.
- Convenience stores in Texas process over 6 billion credit/debit card transactions per year.
- If you're involved in skimming, don't do it in Smith County. They recently sentenced a 22 year old with no prior criminal record to 45 years in prison!
- Criminals can break into a fuel dispenser and install a skimming device in under 15 seconds.
- In a recent criminal debriefing, law enforcement learned that installers of skimming devices can make up to $5,000 per week and those who make the devices and coordinate installation routes can earn anywhere from $25,000 - $50,000 per week — all in tax free cash!